Sunday, March 21, 2010

Day 5: Oregon Adventures



Oregon. So great. I'm going to write about my newfound respect for the state that I gained in these last four days. When you read this, I'll probably be in Southern California, because at this time (8:40 PM on Saturday), I have just boarded the train in Eugene. I won't have internet until around this time tomorrow (Sunday). Eugene kind of sucked but the rest of my Oregon trip was superb. So let's recap, while I'll highlight the great parts.

Wednesday night we arrived in this great state around 6:30 PM. As we crossed over the bridge we hit the Portland area right away, which was fantastic. The sunset was beginning and we had a great first impression. It didn't stop there. After going through a tunnel we escaped from the city and entered the forest that would lead us to Beaverton. Such a great view led us to know that this was a special trip that was just beginning. We arrived at the Derrah residence and had a great night filled with great food and relaxation. It was the next morning that I realized how cool this place was. I walked out on Nick's deck to find the sun shining and Mount Hood as clear as can be in the distance. The beautiful trees and plants that surrounded Nick's house was so fantastic, and I really felt like God made it like this for a reason -- so we can enjoy His glory. This was the first of many moments like these.

After soaking up the sun we went to Salem, the capital of Oregon. Also the home of Jake Howell. Last time I went to Salem it was for a cross-country race and I wasn't impressed. But this time, downtown Salem was fantastic and we had a blast there. After that, the boys packed up and left at 1:00 AM, probably the biggest event of the trip thus far. The excitement was great and the intense wanting to go to California was much more evident than the one to stay in Oregon. So they left Charlie and I and while we were sleeping, they motored through the Oregon-California border and made it to San Francisco about an hour after we woke up. While it was 95 degrees in San Francisco, it still had to be about 80 in Salem. Such a nice day! As I did at Nick's house, I went and took pictures of the surrounding area. So great! I loved how nice of a day it was! But the real God moment in Salem actually had to do with how inviting Mrs. Howell was to us, and how much I realized Mrs. Derrah was, too. I loved meeting Mrs. Howell and actually talked a lot with her while the boys were long-boarding and whatnot. The sacrifice these parents give us is so huge and God helped me realize it. We can't thank these people enough.

I have to say, though, my favorite part of Oregon was the fantastic city of Estacada. This is the home of Allie and Meegan Closner, and that's where Charlie and I went on Friday because we had nothing left in Salem. After my meet, we left and arrived around 5:30. The drive was incredible! We could literally see all of Mount Hood and I could, again, sense God's presence. We just really looked in awe at the amazingness. God is so great! Anyways, we arrived. The four of us proceeded to make dinner and then head to the city. It was so sweet! They have medians! Lamp posts! And yes, sidewalks! The enthusiasm that Meegan and Allie showed to there city was so great! They made me want to live there, even though it's one road with a bunch of barber shops and pizzerias. After playing some cribbage and arm wrestling (I don't wanna talk about it) we went out to look at the stars. This is potentially my favorite part of the trip thus far -- amazing views, amazing conversation and amazing friends. I wouldn't have it any other way. I can't thank God enough for sending us to Estacada that day because, as cool as San Francisco is, there's nothing like stargazing on a grassy hill with trees all over the place and doing it all with some of your best friends. Don't get me wrong though, I want California so bad.

That's kind of what it felt like on Saturday, our fourth and final day in Oregon -- when is California? We all woke up today at 8 AM to have pancakes and go to the city one more time. We left for Eugene which was a great drive and landed at U of O and Hayward Field (aka Track Town USA). Most of the great runners have set foot in this stadium and I can say I've done it too, now. My team had a meet that I was supposed to run at but got taken out of at the last second. It's cool that I still got to go and see the glory that is the University of Oregon and Hayward Field. I loved it. Eugene as a whole though? Not that impressive. Especially with the fact that lots of the restaurants were closed, the train was three hours late and that has forced us to eat uncrustables for dinner here at 9:00. Oh well, we'll make do. Just got a message on the loudspeaker that Breakfast is at 6:30. We'll last. But here's the deal -- we're finally -- FINALLY on our way to California. I'm so excited.

So excited in fact that as we planned this trip I thought we would just coast through this part -- Oregon. I mean, I'd been to Oregon 3 or 4 times before and it was decent. Now, though, I love it. I discovered the beauty of Beaverton, the legendary status of U of O, the great fun that Salem offers and even the hidden gem of Estacada. I underestimated it, and I'm so glad I got to fully experience Oregon. I'd love to come back sometime. But for now? It's time for some California Love. Peace, Oregon!

-- Andrew

[edit: I love love love California! I was right when I said I was ready to go here. As the train got here and Charlie and I went on a bus and saw beautiful downtown San Francisco, I knew I was in such a great place. I never want to leave. Oregon was great, as I stated before, but California! Greatest place ever! I love this trip!] -- (posted on Sunday Night)

No comments:

Post a Comment